Our Open Exhibitions
As well as shows by great guest artists, we will be holding (at least) three exhibitions open to submissions from cartoonists everywhere:
1 – Science!
- This year we’re cooperating with the Galway Science and Technology Festival in their mission to promote awareness of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics to the public in general and the young in particular. Therefore we’re looking for cartoons about science in all its aspects: Its history, discoveries, wonders and controversies.
- While sponsorship is still to be confirmed, we hope to offer a prize for our favourite science cartoon. More details as they come in.
- One particular scientific issue we want to highlight is climate change, and if there is enough good work submitted on this issue we may turn it into a separate exhibition.
2 – Irish!
- Do you – or can you – do cartoons in the Irish language? Do you know anyone who does? Are you aware of any historical material available? We’re sure there must be enough artwork out there to put on an exhibition of cartoons exclusively as Gaeilge.
3 – General Cartoon Mayhem!
- As always, we are eager to show great gags on any subject at all, from the topical to the utterly random. Let us see your latest and greatest published work, or that weird idea you’ve kept hidden in the back of a sketchbook.
SUBMISSIONS CLOSE ON SEPTEMBER 30 2019
- Submissions are open to all cartoon works of any kind, by anyone, from any place. We are especially interested in work from women cartoonists.
- We would like to use images of some artwork to promote the festival, e.g., in press releases, social media, and of course the brochure. Please let us know if you do not want your work to be used in this way.
Drawings and Signed Prints
- This year we’re keener than ever to exhibit signed prints and original artwork, and will give priority to these when selecting exhibits.
- If you would like to sell this kind of work at exhibition we are happy to handle sales, and will offer them at whatever price you wish to receive (please let us know) plus 35% commission.
- Prints should be signed by hand, and preferably numbered.
- Submissions may be sent framed or unframed, as you prefer.
- Please ensure that your work is drawn/printed on acid-free paper and is securely packaged.
- The festival undertakes to return all physical submissions.
- All postal submissions to:
- Richard Chapman
Galway Cartoon Festival
- Richard Chapman
- We may print, frame and exhibit cartoons submitted digitally, but in a change on previous years, any sales will go to raise money for the next Festival. So please only submit digitally if you’re OK with that.
- All digital submissions to:
Other Ways to Participate
Do you think there’s another way you could contribute to the festival? Like doing caricatures, running a workshop, holding a talk, leading a game? Whatever occurs to you, talk to us about it! See our contact details below.
The Festival’s Supporters
The cartoon festival owes its existence to several generous sponsors. Please imbibe in their hostelries, sleep in their rooms, visit their countries etc!
- Tigh Neachtain
- The Connacht Hotel
- The Latin Quarter
- NUI Galway
- Galway City Council
- Creative Ireland
- Wallonie – Bruxelles International
- Bardzo Ładnie Foundation
- The Embassy of Belgium
- The Embassy of France
- The Embassy of the Republic of Poland
We’re still looking for help of all kinds – sponsors, advertisers, volunteers. Please get in touch below.
Become A Friend
By becoming a Friend of the Galway Cartoon Festival you can help support and develop one of the country’s top celebrations of humorous art. Benefits include official invitation to exclusive launches and events, inside news, and of course swag. It’s a great way to keep up with developments at the Galway Cartoon Festival, and also makes a lovely gift for a fun-loving friend or family member. Full details here.
How To Contact Us
|Phone||+353 87 9608234|